AstraZeneca – Facts You Should Know
Dr Vernon Coleman MB ChB DSc FRSA
AstraZeneca is one of the world’s biggest pharmaceutical companies and it is planning to produce a vaccine for covid-19. Here are just a few facts about the company which those expecting to have their vaccine should know…
1) In 2014, AstraZeneca agreed to pay $110 million to settle two lawsuits brought by the state of Texas, claiming that it had fraudulently marketed two drugs. The Texas Attorney General, when he announced the settlements, said the company’s alleged actions were ‘especially disturbing because the well-being of children and the integrity of the state hospital system were jeopardised’.
2) The company has paid $350 million to resolve 23,000 lawsuits.
3) The company has been charged with illegal marketing, including corrupt data in studies for marketing a drug to children, a sex scandal and a poorly run clinical trial that could have compromised patient safety and data reliability.
4) Research for one drug made by AstraZeneca originally included 30 children but only eight children completed the trial and the researcher who conducted the trial concluded that it was inconclusive. However, the study was published anyway and led to a national recommendation that the drug be used as the leading choice for children. Other studies which showed that the drug produced harmful results were never published and were covered up. A company email revealed: 'Thus far, we have buried trials 15,31,56. The larger issue is how do we face the outside world when they begin to criticise us for suppressing data.’ After years of investigations AstraZeneca paid a $520 million fine in the US and paid $647 million to settle global lawsuits.
5) The company has had a number of other lawsuits but you’ve probably got the picture.
6) AstraZeneca appears to be among the main contenders to make the covid-19 vaccine which governments are so excited about and which we are told will be the answer to all our prayers.
7) Drug companies, governments and doctors are going to be given indemnity so that they cannot be sued if they do something bad.
8) AstraZeneca is so confident that its vaccine will receive authorisation that it has already started making billions of doses. The WHO says it is the leading candidate for the billions in profit that lie ahead.
Copyright Vernon Coleman September 2020
Dr Vernon Coleman, a former GP, is the author of a number of international bestselling books. His book, Anyone who tells you vaccines are safe and effective is lying. Here’s the proof is available as a paperback and an eBook on Amazon.