Ten basic facts about animal experiments:
Dr Vernon Coleman
1. Every thirty seconds vivisectors kill another thousand animals.
2. Vivisectors use cats, dogs, puppies, kittens, horses, sheep, rats, mice, guinea pigs, rabbits, monkeys, baboons and any other creature you can think of.
3. While waiting to be used in laboratory experiments, animals are kept in solitary confinement in small cages. Alone and frightened they can hear the screams of the other animals being used.
4. Many of the animals used in laboratory experiments are pets which have been kidnapped, taken off the streets and sold to the vivisectors.
5. Animals used in experiments are tortured, blinded, burned, shot, injected and dissected. They have their eyes sewn up or their limbs broken. Chemicals are injected into their brains and their screams of anguish are coldly recorded. If the animal lives through this torture, it will then be killed.
6. Three quarters of the experiments performed by vivisectors are done without any anaesthetic.
7. Most of the experimenters who torture and kill animals have no medical or veterinary training.
8. Most animal experiments are paid for with your money.
9. Animal experiments are now recognised to be so unreliable that they are of absolutely no value to patients or doctors or anyone else. Animal experiments are performed by companies wanting to put new products onto the market without doing more expensive tests and by second rate scientists wanting to acquire academic status the easy way. Contrary to a popular misconception, animal experiments are not required by law.
10. Many of the drugs which doctors prescribe for human patients are known to cause cancer or other serious problems when given to animals. Here's how it works: if a drug is given to an animal and the animal dies (or is made ill) the results of the test will be ignored. The drug will still be given to people on the grounds that people are different to animals and so the results of the tests on animals can be ignored. If, on the other hand, a drug is given to an animal, and the animal survives the experience, the drug company and its researchers will claim that this shows the drug to be safe.
The Government's advisers collude with this nonsense. Nothing illustrates the nonsense of animal testing better than the fact that when the results of animal tests are commercially inconvenient they are ignored as irrelevant!
Taken from the book `Animal Experiments: Facts every animal lover should know’ by Vernon Coleman
Copyright Vernon Coleman June 2022