Climate Change Truths

Vernon Coleman

Children and celebrities like to think they invented climate change. But pseudo-scientists have been putting forward the theory that greenhouse gases could change the climate since the 19th century. Only the converts (the pseudoscientists who see the whole business as a way to become rich and famous – in precisely the same way that AIDS experts found fame and fortune in their disease) think the evidence is convincing. Independent scientists admit that there is no genuine evidence that the earth is heating up. (I was taken in during the 1970s and 1980s but I no longer accept the dubious evidence.)

Moreover, even if the earth is getting hotter, there is no way to know if this could be caused by burning fossil fuels.

And the alternatives to fossil fuels are frighteningly inefficient. For example, it takes more energy to make a windmill than the windmill will ever produce. So, the more windmills we produce the more energy we waste. Wind farms and solar farms are examples of entirely pointless rural vandalism; tributes to the self-serving sanctimoniousness and rank hypocrisy of an ignorant generation.

Third, the clever alternatives to oil and the internal combustion engine are also silly. Using food to make fuel (the biofuels nonsense) exacerbated the starvation problem and the Greens have condemned hundreds of thousands to death by campaigning for yet more food to be turned into fuel for rich people.

Fourth, electricity, though very nice and useful stuff, only provides about 20% of our energy needs. The other 80% comes from nasty old gas, oil, coal and nuclear power. And it is nigh on impossible to increase that proportion.

Fifth, an awful lot of people rely on gas for their central heating and cooking. If all those people are forced to use electricity for heating and cooking then there is going to be a great shortage of electricity because we are already using up every drop of the stuff we make.

Sixth, renewables such as solar energy and wind power provide only a tiny portion of our current electricity needs. We would need to carpet the countryside with solar farms and wind farms to increase that proportion significantly. (Farms and housing estates would have to go.) Most renewable energy comes from burning biomass (trees). And we are supposed to be planting trees not burning them.

Seventh, (and this is a real heartbreaker for the Greens), maintaining windmills and solar panels requires more energy than the windmills and solar panels actually produce. The much loved renewables are actually a negative source of electricity. For example, when there is no wind the windmills have to be turned by electricity to stop them seizing up.

Eighth, there is no evidence that it is a bad thing if the earth is getting hotter. Rising tides would be bad for people with beachfront properties in some parts of the world. But if there is more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere there will probably be more plants on the planet and then there will be less starvation. Surely we can all agree that would be a good thing?

Ninth, all the bizarre taxes forced upon by the European Union are costing a fortune. Because of subsidies paid to rich farmers operating wind farms and solar farms, ordinary people are having to pay more for their heating and many thousands more are dying in the cold weather. Is that supposed to be a good thing?

Taken from Tickety Tonk (Vernon Coleman’s seventh diary) which is available as a paperback and an eBook on Amazon.

Copyright Vernon Coleman 2019